Let’s face it- we’ve all done our fair share of eye rolling at other people’s couple’s Insta captions. It’s almost like the more people try to be nonchalant, the more cringey the captions get.
Don’t shoot the messenger, but even if you really“can’twait to spend forever with this one” or you genuinely are enjoying your“dinnerdate with bae”, your friends are tired of hearing about it.
Enough is enough. It’s time for couples to call out the cringe and make their social PDAs as cheese-free as possible. That’s why we’ve pulled together this guide to help you avoid an Insta caption for your couples pic that’s original, authentic, and definitely not annoying.
To share, or not to share – that is the question…
Before you dive into the world of Instagram Couple-dom, it’s important to ask yourself a question:
Why do you want to be an Instagram Couple in the first place?
Do you think it will bring you both more happiness? It is to reflect some of the more funny elements of your relationship? Is it to validate that you are, in fact, a‘proper’couple?
Whatever your reasons: make sure they are the right ones.
Instagram can be a really toxic place at the best of times, especially when it comes to love. Nothing good will come of trying to establish yourself as an Instagram Couple if you don’t already have a solid couple foundation.
It can be easy to fall into the trap of seeing other Instagram couples and thinking you’re somehow‘lessthan’ them. But trust us, most of the things you see online are just an illusion.
True love happens in private. It’s the look you give the person you love first thing in the morning, when you’re still half dreaming and they have sleep in their eyes.
It’s the peace that comes from simply being together, with no agency. It’s the million and one reasons that you can think if to share each and every day with them.
Those are the moments that bring true happiness in a relationship. If you want to capture and share these moments with the rest of the world, then great! But don’t feel like you have capture and share those moments to make them more real.
Today, we’re bombarded with images of picture perfect couples. But you know what? The truth is, love isn’t always perfect. Sometimes it’s messy, and complicated.We can’t always be on a gorgeous beach, sipping a cocktail, hand in hand with our special someone.
And you have to be content and happy with that – otherwise your venture into sharing your relationship online will only become a negative cycle.
That said, there are ways to share snippets of your relationship in a controled and healthy way.
Rule #1: Don’t fall into the trap of‘ifyou didn’t share it, it didn’t happen”
One of the most important things to always remember is to be present in the moment with your special someone. Don’t get fixated on capturing the perfect picture so that you can show off how wonderful your date night was.
Instead, embrace and enjoy the moment, and if you happen to snap a perfect shot mid-meal – then perfect. If not, don’t stress about it!
Rule #2: You don’t have to always share selfies – abstract pictures work great too
To help you stay more present in the moment, make a commitment not to take more than a couple of pictures whilst you’re together. If you don’t manage to get the perfect selfie during those allocated images – then get creative and think about what else you could snap to capture the moment instead?
Funny looking salt shaker? Great!
Cool artwork on the wall? Awesome.
Those images also tell a ton of stories, so don’t always feel the pressure to be the‘face’of your relationshop online.
Rule #3: Make sure your partner is comfortable with what you’re sharing
Your relationship is very personal. So before you delve too far into sharing things online, make sure to ask your comfortable with having their stories online.
If your partner would prefer not to have their face in the images, respect that. Make a commitment(andstick to it) to only show them from behind, or from undistinguishable angles. Not only is this an important sign of respect, but it will also force you to get more creative.
Insta captions that are off limits
If you want to write something cheese-free, then there are some basic rules to bear in mind.
Every day of the week has countless dedicated (and overused hashtags). From your man crush Mondays (#mcm), to your #TastyTuesdays, to those #Thursdates (sigh…), Insta is full to bursting with clichéd images of couples reminding everyone they are in a relationship. Your friends have probably already seen 5 or 6 #ThoughtfulThursday posts before they scroll through to yours.
We hate to break it to you but, honestly they really don’t care about that super cute but cliché gesture you posted about. What they want is to see what’s going on in your lives as a one-of-a-kind, totally unique couple – cause that’s what you are (never forget it!).
The same goes for those demure posts of yours. We know you “think she’s ok” and that you “guess he’ll do”. You’re in a relationship that you want to share with the world, that much goes without saying! Instead of diminishing your feelings in order to seem coy and humble, be true to how you really feel. That’s the magic dust of life – embrace it!
So, how should you write a caption worthy of your relationship?
Rule #1: Own it, baby
No more masking your feelings behind genericisms that really don’t say anything at all.
Be honest about how you feel. Tell the truth behind the picture. Shout out your story?
So what if you argued 5 minutes before you took that selfie and this was right after your make up make out? – That’s life, baby. And that’s what your friends love about you: the good, the bad, and all the ugly too.
Rule #2: Don’t be afraid to overshare
What kind of relationship do you have as a couple? Are you really deep? Are you constantly cracking jokes? Or are you a little awkward?
Whatever dynamic you’ve created together, let this shine through in your Insta captions.
Call out that awkward boob stare he’s doing. Overshare the fart story that happened this morning. That authenticity will make your image speak a thousand words.
Rule #3: Learn from others
If you’re looking for more Insta Couple inspiration from other accounts, here are two account we think are doing a great job at writing cute captions about their couple life.
Sharing super cute, perfectly curated images of her beautiful fam, Madison has got her cute couple captions down.
Need some inspiration for your next caption?
Here are some quotes to get your creative juices flowing (or you can just steal them…)
- “You bring out the best in me. I don’t mean better manners, or a sense of maturity, or whatever else this tired world expects of me. I mean you make me want to climb roofs, run wild and act inappropriately, take risks and pursue my dreams with passion and integrity. Around you, I start living.” — Beau Taplin
- “I have never more wanted to see you than I do now — just to sit and look at you,” — Virginia Woolf
- “I daydream of an apartment in the heart of Paris. I’ll walk around in lace lingerie. I’ll sip red wine with the one I love, as we watch the sunset. Our heads thrown back, laughing at the world.” — Cricket
- “I love you. You annoy me more than I ever thought possible, but… I want to spend every irritating minute with you.”–Scrubs
- “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”-RobertFulghum
- “I’ll never stop telling you how amazing you are, even if we disagree on certain things you’ll always be my favorite person.” — Tenari Ioapo
- “I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” — When Harry Met Sally
- “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.”–TheFellowship of the Ring
- “It doesn’t matter if the guy is perfect or the girl is perfect, as long as they are perfect for each other.” ~ Good Will Hunting
- “It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.” ~ The Fault In Our Stars
- “She wasn’t doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.: – J.D. Salinger
- „I want to spend a Tuesday at home, me in my corner, you in yours, reading or working or writing, silently in our spaces. I want to be so together that we don’t have to say anything at all, that we can just watch it rain and drink our tea and occasionally look at one another and smile.“
- ”All we need is a bed to lay in, someone to nurse our insecurities and to remind us that the world isn’t so lonesome if we share it with hearts who lay on similar pillows of madness.” — Joe Straynge
- “It hurts my head to think of how many things had to happen for our paths to intersect. Of all those numberless little fortunes that led me to you. A broken alarm clock, a delayed train, a sudden downpour, and there we were, You and I, sharing coffee, our whole lives ahead of us.” – Beau Taplin
- “So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.” — Paulo Coelho
- “And if you’re lucky… I mean if you’re the luckiest person on this entire planet, the person you love decides to love you back.” — Nathan Scott
- “I hope you never forget that there is someone who’s always by your side and he’ll always love you, always wants you, and always cares about you no matter what.” — Ritu Ghatourey
- “Lifeonly comes around once, so do whatever makes you happy, and be with whoever makes you smile.”
- “He took one look at her… and he knew she was the perfect kind of trouble; a good girl who knew exactly when to be bad.”
- “Happiness means being close to the one you love, that’s all.” — Orhan Pamuk
- “Come lay with me for hours so we can talk thousands of nothings while it means millions of somethings.”
- “She knew she loved him when‘home’went from being a place to a person.” — A. Leventhal
- “When I look in your eyes, I don’t want to look away. I smile at every word that comes out of your mouth and when you smile back, I melt. Sometimes I wonder what I would do without you, not understanding how I got by before. You wrap your hands around my waist and the whole world disappears. When our hands touch, it sends shivers up my spine, and when you lean in and your lips brush mine I never want to let you go.”
- “Looking at you it occurred to me, I could sit around all day wearing nothing but your kiss.” — Shane Koyczan
Connection is what it’s all about. Feel free to reach out to us with any comments or questions you might have, even if it’s only to say hello. If it wasn’t for our beautiful community, this place just wouldn’t feel the same.